POSITION: Diocesan Outreach Coordinator (part-time)
Reporting to: National Outreach Coordinator
Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) is a Pontifical Foundation dedicated to the persecuted and suffering Church. Founded in 1947 as a Catholic aid organisation for war refugees, ACN is the only international Catholic organisation today that focuses on the pastoral and spiritual support of suffering Christians. Through the offerings of over 350,000 benefactors worldwide, ACN supports over 5000 projects across 140 countries each year. ACN Australia began in 1965 and is one of 23 national offices which seeks to raise awareness and financial support for this work. The National office of ACN Australia is based in Sydney NSW.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Diocesan Outreach Assistant works and represents ACN in their local diocese. Through parish presentations and community engagement events in their local area the primary tasks of the Diocesan Outreach Assistant are:
To raise awareness of the suffering and persecuted Church by sharing the stories of our brothers and sisters who suffer or are persecuted for their faith.
To invite the Catholic community to pray for the persecuted and suffering Church.
To inspire the community to take action to support the suffering Church and to join ACN in its journey to keep the faith alive.
The Diocesan Outreach Assistant role is a part time position (2 days or 15.2 hours a week), but the time is spread over days, weekends and evenings as required. The Diocesan Outreach Assistant will be engaged with a 12-month contract with the opportunity to further renewal. The role is undertaken from home with local travel as required.
The role of the Diocesan Outreach Assistant is primarily to share the stories of the suffering Church through the delivery of twenty parish presentations over the course of a year. Presentations are arranged by the Diocesan Outreach Assistant in advance directly with the parish and take place during the weekend Masses. Following each Mass, the Diocesan Outreach Assistant encourages people to sign up for more information and sells religious items in support of ACN.
The role also involves connection with the life of the diocese and particular initiatives of ACN through presence at events to raise awareness and develop relationships with current benefactors and potential benefactors.
All Diocesan Outreach Assistants are given formation, training, and ongoing support around the mission of ACN, the stories of the suffering Church and the specifics around the tasks of the role.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Contact parishes in the designated diocese/s to arrange a presentation (a list of parishes is provided).
- Delivery of parish presentations during the weekend Masses. This involves travel to the location, setting up of banners, an information table and placing brochures on church pews.
- At the completion of each weekend of presentations, various administrative tasks are done.
- Monthly online team meetings and individual check in meetings, as well as in person team meetings twice a year in Sydney.
- Participate in diocesan events as agreed (conferences, festivals, deanery events, etc)
- Organise events to raise awareness, pray for the suffering Church and engage new benefactors
About the candidate:
- A committed and active Catholic with a knowledge and understanding of their faith
- An understanding of the mission and work of Aid to the Church Need
- A good communicator and a confident public speaker
- Physically able to cope with travel, carrying items and setting up of the information table etc
- Confident in the general use of the internet, email, Word, and Excel etc
- A vehicle, current driver’s licence, and a willingness to travel within the designated area
- Friendly, respectful, and professional in manner and in approach
- A valid Working with Children Check
- Able to relate to people at all levels including parish priests and parish staff
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing demands and priorities
- Able to be work independently and be self-motivated