The mission of Aid to the Church in Need as a pastoral foundation at the spiritual service of oppressed and persecuted Catholic communities around the world is a unique mission. It means that we primarily reach out to the Catholic community in their parishes. Through parish presentations in their local area/diocese the primary tasks of the Diocesan Outreach Assistant are:
- To raise awareness of the suffering and persecuted Church by sharing the stories of our brothers and sisters who suffer or are persecuted for their faith. The DOA will encourage parishioners to sign-up to receive the ACN Newsletter.
- To invite parishioners to pray for the persecuted and suffering Church.
- To inspire parishioners to take action to support the suffering Church and to join ACN in its journey to keep the faith alive.
The Diocesan Outreach assistant will need to have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the ethos of the Catholic Church, and be compliant with the aims of Aid to the Church in Need. He or she will need to have a current driving licence and be willing to travel within the designated Diocese(s) / area(s). The majority of the work will be carried out at weekends. All new appointments are subject to a satisfactory Police Check and Working with Children Check. To facilitate the rapid and efficient exchange of information, including receiving regular ACN News updates, the Diocesan Outreach assistant will need to be proficient in the use of Email, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
The role of the Diocesan Outreach Assistant is to share the stories of the suffering Church through the delivery of ten parish presentations over the course of a year (an average of one per month). Presentations are arranged in advance and take place in parishes during the weekend Masses with the same presentation repeated during all the weekend Masses in a particular parish. As part of the presentation the Diocesan Outreach Assistant brings to the parish a ‘mini exhibition’ on modern day martyrs. In addition, Diocesan Outreach Assistants are provided with a supply of religious items to sell, they encourage people to sign up for more information, and they receive any donations parishioners may wish to make (we do not take a collection during parish presentations).
Diocesan Outreach Assistants are engaged with a 12-month agreement and are paid a stipend for every completed weekend of Mass presentations during that year. All Diocesan Outreach Assistants are given formation, training and ongoing support around the mission of Aid to the Church in Need, the stories of the suffering Church and the specifics of delivering our parish presentations. Key requirements of the role include:
- A committed and active Catholic with a knowledge and understanding of their faith
- An understanding of the mission and work of Aid to the Church Need
- A good communicator and a confident public speaker
- Physically able to cope with travel and setting up the stall/information booth
- Confident in the general use of the internet, email, Word and Excel
- A current driver’s licence and a willingness to travel within the designated area
- Friendly, respectful and professional in manner and in approach
- Able to relate to people at all levels including parish priests and parish staff
- Happy to work under pressure
- Able to be work independently and be self-motivated
To apply for the position please email your CV with a cover letter outlining:
- The reason you are interested in the role
- Any relevant experience, whether paid or voluntary
- Any facts about yourself that might assist your application