ABOUT AID TO THE CHURCH IN NEED
Aid to the Church in Need is an international Catholic charity dedicated to the service of suffering Christians wherever they are persecuted, oppressed or in pastoral need.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Through parish presentations in their local area/diocese the primary tasks of the Diocesan Outreach Assistant are:
- To raise awareness of the suffering and persecuted Church by sharing the stories of our brothers and sisters who suffer or are persecuted for their faith. The DOA will encourage parishioners to sign-up to receive the ACN Newsletter.
- To invite parishioners to pray for the persecuted and suffering Church.
- To inspire parishioners to take action to support the suffering Church and to join ACN in its journey to keep the faith alive.
The role of the Diocesan Outreach Assistant is to share the stories of the suffering Church through the delivery of a minimum of ten parish presentations over the course of a year (an average of one per month). Presentations are arranged by the Diocesan Outreach Assistant in advance and take place in parishes during the weekend Masses with the same presentation repeated during all the weekend Masses in a particular parish. Following each Mass, the Diocesan Outreach Assistant sells books and religious items and encourages people to sign up for more information.
Diocesan Outreach Assistants are engaged with a 12-month agreement and are paid $500 for every completed weekend of Mass presentations during that year. Performance will be reviewed annually with the opportunity for a further twelve-month renewal.
All Diocesan Outreach Assistants are given formation, training, and ongoing support around the mission of Aid to the Church in Need, the stories of the suffering Church and the specifics of delivering our parish presentations.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Contact parishes in the designated Diocese or area to arrange a presentation, a list of parishes will be provided.
- Delivery of Parish Presentations during the weekend Masses. The majority of the work will be carried out at weekends.
- Set up a ‘mini exhibition’ of three doble sided banners on modern day martyrs.
- Set up an info table with books and religious items to be sold.
- Encourage parishioners to signup to receive ACN’s newsletters.
- After each weekend of presentations, the Diocesan Outreach Assistant is required to complete some forms.
- A committed and active Catholic with a knowledge and understanding of their faith
- An understanding of the mission and work of Aid to the Church Need
- A good communicator and a confident public speaker
- Physically able to cope with travel and setting up the information booth
- Confident in the general use of the internet, email, Word, and Excel
- A current driver’s licence and a willingness to travel within the designated area
- Friendly, respectful, and professional in manner and in approach
- All new appointments are subject to a satisfactory Police Check and Working with Children Check
- Able to relate to people at all levels including parish priests and parish staff
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing demands and priorities
- Able to be work independently and be self-motivated
To apply for the position please email you CV with a cover letter outlining:
- The reason you are interested in the role
- Any relevant experience, whether paid or voluntary
- Any facts about yourself that might assist your application
Please note the next intake for this position closes on 30 of November.